Chapter 21.

Enamoured
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 21.
 

In the past, Kyungsoo had loved school trips. Of course as a teenager he wasn’t exactly the most popular guy in the grade, rather, he was a bit of a nerd. However, the low social standing he had had hadn’t stopped him from having a small group of friends who he had done most things with. Despite having lost contact with the people from his high school past, Kyungsoo still held the memories he had with his past friends dear, especially those of the numerous overnight school trips he had gone on throughout the duration of his time at high school. 

Kyungsoo knew that with Minseok as the organiser for the current expedition he was going on, there would undoubtedly be a few things he would find highly questionable, however, he couldn’t help but feel expectant for what was to come – teenagers were a funny lot, after all, and he and his colleagues were bound to have a fair few laughs over the next week. He hadn’t actually been on a trip to the beach for at least two years as well, and although being a supervising teacher at an excursion was a part of his job, Kyungsoo also had a feeling he’d be able to enjoy himself too.

Which was why he – although he would absolutely never admit it – was sitting on the front seat of the year twelve bus he was supervising, somewhat excited for what the excursion held in store.

Due to the fact that it was a combined year eleven and twelve trip, the number of teachers having to go had been almost doubled in order to cope with the large student body attending. On the year twelve bus alone, Kyungsoo was joined by Joonmyeon and Minseok. On the year eleven bus was Chanyeol, Jongdae and Yifan. Although Kyungsoo felt that the timing of the excursion wasn’t all that good due to the upcoming exams, he had found himself pushing away his worries and simply allowing himself to enjoy – major excursions did only happen once a year, after all.

Kyungsoo was broken from his chain of thought by the sound of loud, off tune singing and laughter. He turned in his seat to get a look and was met by the sight of several year twelve students who were seated at the back of the bus, along with Minseok, singing loudly. One teen even had a guitar out. The dark haired English teacher shook his head in mild amazement. 

“As teachers we’re meant to be more adult like.”

Kyungsoo’s gaze snapped over to his left where Joonmeyon was seated on the front seat on the row across from him. The deputy principle wore a look of incredulousness on his face as he watched the actions of the teenagers – and lone math teacher – at the back of the bus. “I guess I needn’t worry about having to foil students plots to sneak out during the night though, with Minseok here, I’d be able to send him into their midst’s without being recognized for what he is.” 

Kyungsoo, although initially surprised by the fact that Joonmyeon was even talking to him, smiled. Despite his words, he could tell that Joonmyeon had no ill intentions. In fact, it was probably the first time the deputy headmaster had spoken to him in a non-professional situation on a non-work related topic. “Yes, you’re probably right. I have to give him credit though, Minseok is good at keeping the students in check.”

“Yes, I suppose it’s because he can relate to them on a developmental level.” Joonmyeon snorted, but it wasn’t at all derisive.

Kyungsoo laughed. “Yeah that, and the fact he’s scary when he’s angry.” Just like you, but you’re sort of scary most of the time, his brain supplied on an afterthought.

A silence settled among them once again, leaving Kyungsoo in mild awe of the fact he had just spoken to Joonmyeon normally. 

It was an achievement, and hopefully a sign that the rest of the excursion would run smoothly.

Kyungsoo settled back into his seat, turning to watch the passing scenery with a smile on his face.

 

 

“My is tingling.”

“Maybe it’s your gaydar telling you something.” 

Jongdae, who had been the first to speak, turned to glare at Minseok, who was wearing a nonchalant expression on his face as if he had not said a thing in response in the first place.

“Shuttup Seok. It’s not my gaydar, if it was, it would be a nice tingling. Right now all I feel is pain. It’s my telling me we sat for too long on that godforsaken bus.”

Minseok hummed carelessly and Jongdae took this as his queue to go pro-wrestler. Kyungsoo sighed as he fluffed his pillow, the sound of their squabbling increasing in volume from behind him.  

“Hey now, it’s not even been an hour and the two of you have reverted to your frisky younger selves. It must be a result of the excursion atmosphere – ahh, how wonderful youth is!” Yifan’s voice boomed loudly with his door banging entrance and Jongdae and Minseok broke apart from their intense wrestling match, faces red and squawks of protest loud. 

“I was having the most fantastic time,” Yifan continued to speak as he approached one of the remaining beds, totally ignoring Minseok and Jongdae’s complaints on his choice of commentary. “seeing kids try to put up tents is something I never fully appreciated until today.”

“How sadistic.” Kyungsoo laughed, earning a jab to the side from the tall art teacher.

“I remembered Chanyeol on my way back here” Yifan motioned over his shoulder at the door. Kyungsoo looked up, surprised to see said teacher, having appeared in the doorway with a rather glazed look to his face while the rest of the men inside the cabin had been listening to Yifan. 

Jongdae looked up from the sheet he was trying to tuck in. “He was still sleeping on the bus!?” 

The only response they got was Yifan’s laughter.

Chanyeol was holding his duffle bag and pillow under each arm, his smile somewhat dazed. His hair was slightly more wild than usual due to the fact he had dozed off on the bus and no one had bothered to wake him when they first arrived. Kyungsoo didn’t fail to notice how his tall friends right eye was twitching somewhat – it was something that seemed to happen to Chanyeol often when he first woke up.

“Yifan’s methods of waking someone aren’t exactly pleasant.” Chanyeol finally spoke, his movements still stiff as he made his way slowly inside the small teacher’s cabin. “Be warned, all.”

“Thanks for the heads up” Kyungsoo grinned. “I’ll make sure to get up on time while we’re here.”

“Hurry up and get settled. It’s almost time for everyone to assemble at the outdoor barbeque area for dinner.” Minseok said, having finished setting himself up.

Chanyeol, who had only just started to unpack and make up his bed, groaned. “Teenage boys… cooking their own meals… this is going to be a disaster”

Kyungsoo stood up straight with a loud snort, having completed making his own bed too. “I can’t believe you have the audacity to say such a thing when you’re incapable of even boiling an egg.”

Chanyeol opened his mouth to complain but closed it again quickly with a pout, earning a sigh from Kyungsoo.

“I already told you I’d be cooking for two, didn’t I?”

This seemed to cheer Chanyeol up significantly, as he smiled glowingly for a moment before returning to unpacking.

Kyungsoo sat on the edge of his bed as he waited for the rest of his colleagues to finish up. It was just as Yifan announced that he had completed his bed making that Joonmyeon entered, expression weary.

“All the students have finished putting up their tents and unpacking. It’d be best if we all supervise them while they make their meals.” Joonmyeon spoke quickly, straight to the point. “Year twelve claim they have rights to cook first, but it’s still undecided. If you don’t mind, I’ll stay here and unp

Please log in to read the full chapter